NTLIS encourages all government users of ArcGIS to connect directly to a Spatial Dissemination Databases for read-only layers such as cadastre, roads, boundaries, bores etc. Connecting to these databases instead of extracting and storing local copies helps to ensure your data is current and complete.
Note this document is only relevant to NT Goverment users, as direct connection to the dissemination databases is not available outside of the NTG network.
Configuring your machine for Oracle connectivity
Before you can connect to an Oracle database with applications like FME, MapInfo or ArcGIS you will need to:
- install an Oracle Client, preferably the Oracle Instant Client (eg. 10.x., 11g)
- setup the client by building your TNSNAMES.ORA file.
Information for these items can be found in the Spatial Dissemination Databases of the NT Government document.
Connecting to Dissemination Databases
1. Start ArcMap or ArcCatalogue.
2. Within the Catalog Tree expand Database Connections and double click Add Database Connection:
3. Enter the connection details for the database you wish to connect to and click ok. Usernames and passwords can be found in the Spatial Dissemination Databases of the NT Government document.
4. Find the layer you want and add it to your map.
Please note, ArcGIS will list tables from a number schema's, the tables that form the Dissemination Database are tables that start with the username you logged in as. In the example shown it will be all tables that start with SDB_VIEWER.
Any questions, call GIS Support